Position: Artificial Intelligence in Development Consultant
Position Status: Consultant
Apply by: January 11, 2024
LINC is a mission-driven US-based small business committed to supporting local organizations leading their own development. We do this by implementing programs and delivering consulting and training in the areas of systems thinking, monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL), capacity-strengthening, and collective action. The recipient of USAID’s Small Business of the Year award in 2017, we are a team of reflective and passionate development professionals. Our country experience spans Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Europe. For more information on LINC, please visit www.linclocal.org.
In Mexico, LINC is implementing the USAID Monitoring and Evaluation Support for Adaptation (MESA) Activity (2022-2027), which is designed to strengthen the monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) and collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA) systems and capacity of the USAID/Mexico Mission and its implementing partners through assistance with designing and carrying out monitoring; evaluations, assessments, and studies; and collaboration and capacity building for the USAID/Mexico mission and its implementing partners.
One of MESA’s services to USAID/Mexico is a rapid response mechanism through which the Mission can request short research, analysis, or tool creation efforts. MESA has received its fifth rapid response request from the USAID/Mexico Office of Sustainable Development (OSD) to conduct research to understand how artificial intelligence (AI) is being used in climate priorities, which actors are engaged, and what they are doing, and identify opportunities for USAID/Mexico to leverage AI for better climate programming results.
MESA is expected to complete the rapid response request (RRR) by the end of January 2024. Engaging qualified consultants with experience and expertise in AI use in development will contribute to MESA’s ability to effectively and quickly design, conduct, and report results of this research effort.
This consultancy position is contingent upon USAID approval.
Working under the direction of the MESA Chief of Party, and collaborating with USAID/Mexico and other relevant stakeholders, the consultant will have the following responsibilities:
- Attend an in-briefing session with MESA and USAID/Mexico to align expectations for the research.
- Develop a brief plan with calendar and/or Gantt chart for specific tasks and the delivery of key assignment meetings and milestones.
- Conduct a review of USAID/Mexico’s recent and current climate programming.
- Conduct a review of how AI is currently being used in climate priorities globally and in Mexico, which actors are engaged, and what they are doing.
- Develop a draft report describing the current context and opportunities for USAID/Mexico to leverage AI for better development results.
- Review and incorporate feedback from USAID/Mexico points of contact into a final report.
- Present the report and accompanying documents, if any, to the USAID/Mexico points of contact.
- Other tasks consistent with this Scope of Work, as assigned by the MESA Chief of Party.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in international development, social sciences, international relations, or a related field.
- Demonstrated expertise in and knowledge of the uses of artificial intelligence or other similar technologies for international development programming generally, with strong preference for experience with AI use in climate programming specifically.
- Demonstrated experience conducting primary and secondary research, analyzing qualitative data, and reporting results clearly, with strong preference for experience in climate, biodiversity, natural resources, or a related field.
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Spanish.
- Prior experience working in Mexico preferred.
- Knowledge of USAID/Mexico programming preferred.
Please send your resume/CV and daily rate to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Artificial Intelligence in Development Consultant”. All applications will be reviewed, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. LINC LLC is an equal opportunity employer.