Position: MERL Technical Specialist
Location: Washington, DC or remote
LINC is a small business, headquartered in Washington DC, dedicated to strengthening local actors and systems. At LINC, we believe that a practical approach to engaging committed, capable local actors, increases international development effectiveness and sustainability. Awarded USAID’s “Small Business of the Year” distinction in 2017, we are a team of reflective practitioners, passionate and energetic in our work, and committed to locally led development. We partner with major universities, foundations, local NGOs, consulting firms, and international cooperation agencies, like USAID. Our country experience spans Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America. For more information on LINC, please visit www.linclocal.org
The MERL Technical Specialist provides expertise, technical leadership, and analytical support to a portfolio of LINC projects, new business, and strategic initiatives. As LINC is a mission-driven organization, the MERL Technical Specialist has a demonstrated passion for locally-led development. As a member of LINC’s Technical Support Unit (TSU), the MERL Technical Specialist serves as a resource to ongoing field or global projects and plays a leadership role in developing LINC’s technical products, designing and implementing projects, training and mentoring staff, generating knowledge products, and engaging in overall organization and sector-wide outreach and thought leadership. The MERL Technical Specialist supports and leads project teams, research, projects, strategic and new business development as delegated by the Senior Program Director. The MERL Technical Specialist has proven skills, expertise and experience in evaluation, research, complexity-aware monitoring, CLA, systems thinking, and training. The Specialist has experience in sectors and/or geographies that are highly relevant to LINC’s current and future work. The Specialist routinely outreaches and engages with relevant experts and communities of practice. The Specialist is adept in the new business space, proactively identifying new opportunities and clients, and supporting program design and proposal development initiatives. The Specialist should be willing to travel internationally approximately 25%.
The MERL Technical Specialist will report to the Senior Program Director.
LINC’s dynamic environment requires the successful candidate to be capable of providing technical support and leadership to multiple project or research activities simultaneously, including short-term/discreet studies and analyses and longer-term, multi-year activities. Responsibilities include:
- Provide technical leadership, support and expertise to a portfolio of projects, both short and long-term. Support may be provided in the form of remote and on-site technical assistance, training, research, analytical support, reporting, collaboration with partners and/or other technical experts, and presentation to clients.
- Lead projects as delegated by Senior Program Director, undertaking responsibilities to ensure overall delivery of the activity, including oversight of the project team, adherence to workplan, reporting, invoicing and backstopping schedules, coordination with partners and client communications.
- Spearhead and/or support strategic initiatives, including the development of new products, refinement of methods, delivery of training both internally and externally, and identification and implementation of independent research to support LINC’s mission. Generate knowledge products for internal use and for external dissemination that contribute to LINC’s thought leadership.
- Support communications and new business development efforts, including the routine updating of project communications materials (e.g., project website, blogs, etc.), reporting from field activities, updating of technical/ program components of PPRs, and development of discreet outreach materials.
- Support to business development, including proactive identification of opportunities with new and existing clients and contributions to technical proposals, including authoring of technical approaches.
- Actively identify and engage with relevant thought leadership and communities of practice, potentially including leading learning or coordination activities, technical contributions and presentations. Identify individual professional development opportunities for personal growth and/or for LINC colleagues.
- Development / authorship of program guidance documentation, case studies, learning materials, and reports.
- Provision of technical mentoring and support to other LINC technical staff, partners, and clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
LINC is a small, growing business that encourages proactive, flexible, and team-oriented staff to thrive and grow with us. The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial, team-oriented leader with excellent technical skills, experience in the international development space, and a passion for improving effectiveness of social change efforts around the world. The candidate should be willing to travel internationally approximately 25%. Specific qualifications include:
- Masters degree in international development, international relations, business administration, social sciences, public administration, or related field.
- 4-10 years professional experience in international development, preferably including overseas work on donor-funded programming.
- Expertise in program design, monitoring, evaluation, research, CLA, systems thinking, and/or traditional MEL.
- Strong background and familiarity with international development project M&E frameworks, both traditional (e.g., logical frameworks, periodic monitoring, survey) and systems-based (e.g., outcome harvesting, network analysis, factor analysis, PEA, ethnography).
- Excellent writing skills, as demonstrated in analytical reports / publications and proposals.
- Proven ability to interpret and communicate findings from complex data analyses.
- Skills and experience working with data, and data platforms illustratively including Excel, SPSS, R, Kumu, NVivo, Atlas.ti, Vensim, etc.
- Demonstrated communication, coordination and client management skills.
- Skills conducting advanced academic research, a PhD, and/or advanced language skills are preferred.
Additional desired skills and qualifications include:
- Experience living and/or working in developing countries.
- Proficiency in Spanish, French or Arabic.
Please send resume/CV to email@example.com with the subject line “MERL Technical Specialist”. All applications will be reviewed, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. LINC LLC is an equal opportunity employer.