Position: Research and Learning Director
Location: Washington, DC
Date Posted: 7 August 2019
LINC is a US-based small business that assists local and international organizations to design effectively, increase institutional capacity, forge lasting partnerships, and measure impact. We have developed ground-breaking tools to map organizational networks, measure social capital, and leverage systems-based approaches to development. We understand the unique constraints local organizations face, and offer practical solutions via training, consulting services, research and advocacy. At LINC, we believe that a practical approach to engaging committed, capable local organizations in leading their own development increases international development effectiveness and sustainability.
LINC is seeking a full-time Research and Learning Director for a new USAID-funded, five-year blended finance learning project. The Research and Learning Director will lead and oversee the program’s research activities including studies, assessments, and data collection efforts. The Research and Learning Director will oversee program staff and consultants conducting research, technical assistance, and dissemination of learning related to blended finance and impact investing in various developing countries around the world, especially Africa.
The successful candidate will have excellent research skills and experience using both qualitative and quantitative methods. The successful candidate should have a strong background in applied research methods combined with experience conducting research in an international development context. The successful candidate should be able to engage in research-practice partnerships, effectively bridging academic and practitioner communities. The candidate should have strong facilitation and capacity building skills, ideally with experience in blended finance and/or microenterprise development. The successful candidate should have strong familiarity with donor-funded impact measurement and indicator frameworks. The position will be based in Washington, DC with intermittent travel.
Duties and Responsibilities (Research):
- Lead and/or oversee research activities to answer the specific learning agenda questions and inform related monitoring, evaluation and learning plans of USAID missions, bureaus, and independent offices;
- Contribute to evidence review, validation of findings, and presentation of results;
- Advise program staff and consultants on best research methods to accomplish objectives;
- Supervise consultants leading specific/targeted research activities;
- Develop and implement program research plans and protocols, ensuring validation of research methodologies in line with industry and USAID standards;
- Support team with Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS)/ Project Appraisal Document (PAD)/Activity Design and Evaluation engagements; and
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building to local organizations engaged in research.
Duties and Responsibilities (Learning):
- Synthesize learning to contribute to filling knowledge gaps in the evidence base;
- Support project leadership to draft and finalize learning agenda; and
- Support project team with CLA activities and facilitation including stock-taking activities, learning agenda workshops, and pause and reflect workshops
The position will manage a MEL / CLA Specialist.
The position will report to the Chief of Party
Skills and Qualifications:
LINC is a small but growing business that allows proactive and flexible individuals to thrive and grow with us. The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial, team-oriented self-starter, both thoughtful and able to react quickly to opportunities and needs as they arise. The candidate should be willing to travel internationally approximately 25%. Specific qualifications are anticipated to include:
- Master’s Degree or PhD in social science, international development or related field;
- 8-10 years of experience in MEL and research roles, ideally on international development programs;
- Experience and academic training in advanced research methods, both qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Progressive experience in providing strategic technical expertise on collaborating, learning, and adapting to donors, governments, implementing partners, or the private sector;
- Technical expertise and previous experience with blended finance, development finance, private sector engagement, or microenterprise development;
- Prior experience working with USAID or other donor-funded programs; and
- Excellent management, collaboration, and communication skills, including excellent writing abilities in English.
Additional desired skills and qualifications include:
- Experience living and/or working in developing countries;
- Fluency in Spanish, French, and/or Arabic.
Send resume / CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title included in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for will be contacted. LINC LLC is an equal opportunity employer.