Position: Technical Director, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
Location: Flexible with intermittent travel
Position Status: Full-time
LINC is a US-based small business that assists local and international organizations to design effectively, increase institutional capacity, forge lasting partnerships, and measure impact. We have developed ground-breaking tools to map organizational networks, measure social capital, and leverage systems-based approaches to development. We understand the unique constraints local organizations face, and offer practical solutions via training, consulting services, research and advocacy. At LINC, we believe that a practical approach to engaging committed, capable local organizations in leading their own development increases international development effectiveness and sustainability. For more information on LINC, please visit: www.linclocal.org
LINC seeks a full-time Technical Director to provide expertise and leadership of research, monitoring, evaluation and learning activities across a rich portfolio of donor-funded action research activities, new program development efforts, learning and exchange forums. The successful candidate will be expected to leverage advanced research credentials and experience in the international development sector to design and oversee evaluations, provide technical assistance and training in research methods, and lead the technical design of new MEL programming. The Technical Director will lead a portfolio that includes innovative systems approaches such as network analysis and causal loop diagramming, as well as traditional M&E methods including impact evaluations incorporating experimental design and results-based performance management.
The Technical Director will collaborate extensively with a range of experts in systems thinking, M&E, CLA, collective impact, and organizational development on large donor-funded activities global in scope. The Technical Director will collaborate extensively with our partners at major universities, foundations, local NGOs and consulting firms, USAID and DFID, to co-author and disseminate learning, proactively identifying new opportunities, providing training and technical assistance to leaders in locally-led development in diverse locations throughout Latin America, Africa and Asia. The Technical Director will facilitate interactive trainings and workshops for donors, local stakeholders, and LINC staff. The Technical Director will collaborate with LINC program staff to build upon existing LINC tools / methods and identify and build-out emerging methods relevant to our work.
In addition to possessing the technical skills described above, the successful candidate will be an effective communicator, timely and results-oriented, a thought leader with an entrepreneurial mindset, commitment to locally-led development, that has a strong understanding the project environment and how development actually gets done. While LINC’s headquarters is based in Washington, the home base position location is flexible. The candidate should be willing to travel internationally approximately 20%.
LINC’s dynamic environment requires the successful candidate to be highly motivated and flexible, able to achieve goals and advance activities with minimal oversight. Primary responsibilities include:
- Technical assistance to multiple ongoing activities, providing research expertise and oversight to assessments, performance evaluations, impact evaluations, network analyses and systems thinking activities;
- Development, refinement and delivery of trainings on systems thinking and MEL-related modules / topics;
- Serve as principal investigator on consultancy-based activities, developing research and engagement plans, leading assessments, conducting facilitation and training local counterparts in the field, reporting on results;
- Serve as lead technical writer of proposals and project design materials in relevant technical areas;
- Author relevant reporting and learning documentation, including case studies, deliverable reports, research papers, among others;
- Engagement in relevant learning communities, including attendance and presentation in relevant conferences and communities of practice;
- Identify and build-out state of the art tools and methods that contribute to LINC’s activities in MEL, organizational development and collective impact;
- Maintain strong relationships with LINC’s partner organizations collaborating on research and development activities, in addition to developing new ones;
- Mentor, support and provide technical oversight to LINC technical staff and colleagues;
- Contribute to LINC’s overall corporate strategy and participation on leadership team.
Required Skills and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have the requisite technical skills in addition to being an effective communicator, timely and results-oriented, a thought leader with an entrepreneurial mindset that has a strong understanding of how development actually gets done.
- 7+ years of international development and/or social science research experience, conducting research for program design, monitoring and/or evaluation;
- Academic background / credentials and practical experience with applied research methods, including experimental design, sampling, qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Extensive skills and experience working with data, and data platforms illustratively including Excel, SPSS, R, Kumu, Vensim, etc.;
- Demonstrated track record of leading research engagements in international development and social sciences, including authorship / publication of relevant studies and reports;
- Experience authoring technical sections / components of proposals and program design documentation;
- Demonstrated communication, coordination and client management skills;
- Experience living and working in a development context;
- High level analytical and writing skills; and
- While a Ph.D. is preferred for this position, several years of experience leading research initiatives in a development context, and a Masters Degree may substitute.
Additional Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Ph.D. in related field;
- Experience managing donor-funded development projects;
- Experience living and working in development context;
- Expertise in network analysis, systems mapping, modelling and/or other systems analytical methods; and
- Advanced training facilitation skills in adult learning.
Send resume / CV to email@example.com with the position title included in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for will be contacted. LINC LLC is an equal opportunity employer.