Position: English Language Copy and Content Editor
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position Status: Consultant
Apply by: June 20, 2023
LINC is a small business, headquartered in Washington DC, dedicated to strengthening local actors and systems. At LINC, we believe that a practical approach to engaging committed, capable local actors, increases international development effectiveness and sustainability. Awarded USAID’s “Small Business of the Year” distinction in 2017, we are a team of reflective practitioners, passionate and energetic in our work, and committed to locally led development. We partner with major universities, foundations, local NGOs, consulting firms, and international cooperation agencies, including USAID. For more information on LINC, please visit www.linclocal.org.
In Ethiopia, LINC is implementing the USAID Resilience Platform (2022-2027), which is designed to facilitate collaboration and coordination among USAID’s highlands resilience partners, support the adoption of adaptive management processes and solutions informed by learning, evidence, and research, and foster innovation within USAID’s highlands programming to drive early adoption and scaling of new rigorously tested approaches.
The copy and content editor provides extensive copy editing, content editing, and proofreading across a variety of mediums, as well as writing and research as assigned. The editor is responsible for editing LINC’s reports and communicate its key messages clearly and without error, while adhering to LINC’s mission, brand, and communications strategy. The copy and content editor reviews text for clarity, tone, grammatical correctness, and consistency, while always keeping in mind the pertinent objectives of the piece, its specific audience, and the particular needs of the medium through which the message will be expressed.
- Copy editing, content editing, proofreading, and occasional research and writing as assigned, in a variety of formats including print, digital, video, web, and social media.
- Tailor communications to a variety of different audiences, channels, and media, taking care to avoid a “one size fits all” editing mindset.
- Develops/maintains a clear and consistent editorial brand voice and ensures that content conforms to LINC’s standards.
- Updates LINC’s Brand Guidelines on an annual basis and communicates new style decisions and trends to LINC staff.
- Maintains current knowledge of changes in English language usage, including the latest in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion standards, and consults with other teams on language and style decisions as needed.
- Conducts online research and fact checks, as needed, to collect/confirm content.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Advanced English language degree in communications, journalism, English, or a related field.
- Exceptional skills in copy editing, content editing, proofreading, and writing.
- Minimum of 6 to 8 years of professional experience in editing of marketing, development, and informational materials in English.
- Ability to translate complex concepts and dense writing into easily understood language.
- Ability to assess a product’s tone and purpose and tailor copy appropriately.
- Ability to copy edit across different formats and for a number of audiences—everything from program strategy documents meant for colleagues to communications materials designed to influence donors, foundations, nonprofits, government, businesses, and the general public.
- Demonstrated interpersonal communications skills, including diplomacy, patience, and the ability to collaborate with a variety of clients.
- Ability to work in a creative, fast-paced, deadline-driven team environment and remain flexible, organized.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe InCopy, and PowerPoint required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
Please send resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 20,2023, with the subject line “English Language Copy and Content Editor.” All applications will be reviewed, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. LINC LLC is an equal opportunity employer.